Thursday, February 12, 2009

Definition of love?

There are so many definitions of love, that we could probably have a separate dictionary for it. I think love has different definitions for different people. To me, love is unconditional, relentless, sometimes renders you powerless, encompassing and empowering at the same time, it transcends you to the heavenlies when its pure, it makes you look into someone eyes and know that everything is okay, its an unspoken language that is shared between kindred spirits and souls, a language that only 2 hearts understand, a longing to make everything ok, one's ability to make another feel appreciated. Love is when you're gone for days on end, and when you return, it never feels like you were ever gone. To love is to feel right at home in another person's soul. It's a spiritual longing to make someone else whole. Above all, to feel loved, is to feel heaven on earth.




Above all, to feel loved, is to feel heaven on earth.



The bible says love is in 1 Corinthians 13:4-13

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is
not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps
no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always
perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will
cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge,
it will pass away.
For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I
reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to
face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully
known.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the
greatest of these is love."



Sonnet XLIII, from the Portuguese. Elizabeth Barrett Browning - 1806-1861

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of Being and ideal Grace. I love thee to the level of everyday's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for Right; I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise. I love thee with the passion put to use In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith. I love thee with a love I seemed to lose With my lost saints, -I love thee with the breath, Smiles, tears, of all my life! - and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.



No matter what definition, poem, song, story, movie, or novel that has been written, love is determined by how you use it and how it uses you... Man, love is something else.... Ok, your turn.... What is love?

~ Loving Flyness

No comments: